Morgan and Jenny were living one perfectly happy life... and then one day they decided to spice it up with some crunching, chewing, barking, little fun. So get comfy, make yourself at home, and enjoy our little blog of chips and dip (o)..

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Pie

Morgan's dad owns a pie shop, and so for the longest time I shied away from making pies - for obvious reasons. However, lately, I can't seem to make enough. Leftover soup? Make pie? Leftover spaghetti sauce? Make pie? Random assortment of vegetables soon to go bad? Make pie. So I invite you, dear friends, to embrace the remainder of this winter, stalk up on some veggies and soup, and make pie.

Last night, since I had an abundance (like 2 pounds) of spinach in the fridge, asparagus, portabellos and chicken - I could think of no better way to consume it all than in the shape of a delicious flaky cheesy pie.

It's simple, get a good pie crust recipe (or pate brise) and for the filling, just start by sauteing and steaming the ingredients. Next, add milk, butter and flour (if you want a creamy sauce) add just enough until the consistency is right, let it simmer for a while and voila! In the case of this pie - with a lot of relatively bland veggies, I added a lot of asiago cheese and some cayenne pepper to give it a kick, and sort of a cheddary taste.


I usually only bake my pies for like 45 minutes to an hour, yesterday we baked it giving us enough time to run Chipson into the ground at a tennis court. One day, she may learn that it is fun to run after a ball we throw, and even more fun to continue bringing it back to us. Right now, she just looks at us like we are crazy. I think she honestly has no idea why she should go get the ball that she JUST ran and brought back to us moments before. I agree with her, looks like we have a smart dog (or so I keep telling myself).

No comments:

Post a Comment